Useful Resources and Links

The 4 steps to getting a learners permit

If you live in Western Australia, you can apply for your Learners Permit as soon as you turn 16 for a car or 15 1/2 for a moped. Your Learners Permit is valid for 3 years which is usually plenty of time to get your licence, but if it lapses before you pass your driving test you will need to renew it by going to Licensing and paying the additional fees (you will not be required to resit the theory test). 

Step 1 - Theory Test

For a C class (car) licence you will need to set a computerised theory test consisting of 30 questions. Each question is multiple choice and are about the Road Rules and Safe Driving Practices. To pass, you must get at least 24 questions right.You can read the Drive Safe Handbook and practice the Sample Quizzes to prepare yourself. 

There are 11 quizzes and each consists of 30 multiple choice questions. Below are links to all 11 quizzes.

Step 2 - Fill in Application Form

Once you have practised the quizzes and read the handbook, you need to download and complete the Driver’s licence application (Form DLA 1) Complete the form while on your computer then print, or, print it off and fill it in by hand. 

Step 3

You need to take ID documents with you when you apply for your Learners Permit. For some people this a detailed part of the application and the following form will help you gather all of the necessary documents. ID documents list Many people will simply need the following:

  • an original Australian or NZ birth certificate (not an extract)
  • Australian passport
  • a bank card or credit card
  • medicare card
  • and a letter showing your current address which could be from your employer, school or bank (such as a bank statement).

If you don’t have all of the documents listed above, you should download the ID documents pdf for a full list. 

Step 4

Once you have completed the application form, shown sufficient ID and passed the theory test, your eyesight will be checked and your photo will be taken. Your plastic card will arrive in the mail within 7-10 days, but you can begin driving lessons using the temporary paper permit.The money you have paid for your Learners Permit has also paid for your first Driving Assessment (you will however still need to pay your instructor for his/her car on the day of your test). If you don’t pass your Driving Assessment the first time, you will need to pay for the next test before you can book it. 

Road Safety Commission WA